Iranian naval ships enter Mediterranean via Suez

Two Iranian vessels, a destroyer and a supply ship, cross through Suez into Mediterranean, possibly en route to Syrian coast, source in canal authority says

Reuters פורסם: 17.02.12, 22:04

Two Iranian naval ships have sailed through Egypt's Suez Canal into the Mediterranean, in a move likely to be keenly watched by Israel.

 

"Two Iranian ships crossed through the Suez Canal (on Thursday) following permission from the Egyptian armed forces," a source in the canal authority said on Friday.

 

Related stories:

 

The destroyer and a supply ship could be on their way to the Syrian coast, the source added. Iran and Syria agreed to cooperate on naval training a year ago, and Tehran has no naval agreement with any other country in the region.

ספינה איראנית עוברת בתעלת סואץ בשנה שעברה (צילום: רויטרס)

Iranian ships in Suez last year (Photo: Reuters)

 

Two Iranian warships sailed along the strategic waterway on February 17 last year, in a move that Israel called a "provocation".

 

Syria and Iran are hostile to Israel.

 

Egypt's military, which has a close defense ties with the United States, has been governing the country since the overthrow of President Hosni Mubarak a year ago.

 

The Suez Canal cuts through Egypt and allows shipping to pass from the Middle East to Europe and vice versa, without going around southern Africa.